Friday, October 12 2012
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship leader Shane 'Shakey' Byrne started his weekend strongly by topping the opening free practice session on the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki ahead of Karl Harris on the Quattro Plant Kawasaki in drying conditions.
The track continued to dry and the times tumbled towards the end of the session with Byrne going fastest in the final four minutes to move ahead of his rivals. Harris had moved up the order in the closing stages but managed to remain ahead of title contender Alex Lowes on the WFR Honda in the final minute with James Westmoreland fourth after leading in the opening part of the session.
Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki's Chris Walker was fifth ahead of Josh Brookes who was nudged down the order in the closing minutes with Tommy Hill seventh ahead of Supersonic BMW's Tommy Bridewell. It was a disastrous start for Michael Laverty as he ended the session 26th on the Samsung Honda.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, free practice one:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
- Karl Harris (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) +0.934s
- Alex Lowes (WFR Honda) +0.936s
- James Westmoreland (WFR Honda) +1.339s
- Chris Walker (Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki) +1.438s
- Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +1.490s
- Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +1.680s
- Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) +1.849s
- Noriyuki Haga (Swan Yamaha) +2.565s
- Peter Hickman (Buildbase BMW) +2.691s
The final round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship takes place at Brands Hatch this weekend (12/13/14 October). For more information click here.