Friday, October 12 2012
WFR Honda's Alex Lowes stormed to the top of the times ahead of Shane Byrne in the closing minute of the second free practice session at Brands Hatch ahead of tomorrow's opening race of the triple-header event.
Lowes had been steadily climbing the order before firing himself to the top of the times with less than five minutes remaining. However a charging Shane 'Shakey' Byrne then put himself ahead just a minute later but Lowes retaliated with a faster lap to move back to the top on his final lap. Championship leader Byrne remained second ahead of Barry Burrell on the Buildbase BMW.
The next of the Title Fighters was Josh Brookes on the Tyco Suzuki; he had led in the early stages and ran second to Lowes before the session was red flagged with eight minutes on the clock when Tommy Bridewell crashed at Stirlings; he was taken to the medical centre for a check up after sustaining a left finger and hand injury. When the session resumed Brookes was bumped back to fourth, with Karl Harris in fifth for Quattro Plant Kawasaki.
James Westmoreland edged out Michael Laverty for sixth place with Tommy Hill the leading Swan Yamaha in eighth. Bridewell remained ninth despite his crash and Chris Walker rounded out the top ten for Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, free practice two:
- Alex Lowes (WFR Honda) 1m:26.264s
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +0.425s
- Barry Burrell (Buildbase BMW) +0.467s
- Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +0.737s
- Karl Harris (Quattro Plant Kawasaki) +0.826s
- James Westmoreland (WFR Honda) +0.851s
- Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) +1.063s
- Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +1.098s
- Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) +1.137s
- Chris Walker (Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki) +1.203s
The final round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship takes place at Brands Hatch this weekend (12/13/14 October). For more information click here