Saturday, October 13 2012
Shane 'Shakey' Byrne won the opening MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship race of the weekend at Brands Hatch to extend his lead in the standings to 18 points as Alex Lowes crashed out unhurt on the WFR Honda. Title Fighters Tommy Hill and Josh Brookes claimed the final podium positions ahead of tomorrow's two final races.
Byrne had stormed into the lead on the opening lap with Lowes and Michael Laverty in pursuit, with the Samsung Honda rider making a move at Stirlings on the second lap to push the WFR Honda rider to third. Lowes instantly retaliated and claimed the position back a lap later as they fought for the opening race win of the day.
Tommy Hill and Josh Brookes were desperately trying to move up ahead of Stuart Easton on the second Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki as he held fourth position over the opening laps. There was drama for Laverty though on the eleventh lap as he dropped from third to twelfth, promoting Hill and Brookes to third and fourth respectively.
Two laps later and Hill and Brookes both made a pass on Easton to move into podium contention, but there was disaster for Lowes who crashed out at Clearways as the race was red flagged. Hill and Brookes picked up the pieces with the final two podium spots, promoting the defending champion ahead of the WFR Honda rider now in the standings by two points.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, race one result:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
- Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 1 lap
- Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) 1 lap
- James Westmoreland (WFR Honda) 1 lap
- Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 1 lap
- Barry Burrell (Buildbase BMW) 1 lap
- Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) 1 lap
- Noriyuki Haga (Swan Yamaha) 1 lap
- Jon Kirkham (Samsung Honda) 1 lap
- Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) 1 lap
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings after Brands Hatch race one:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 633
- Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) 615
- Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 586
- Alex Lowes (WFR Honda) 584
- Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) 565
- Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) 553
The 2012 MCE Insurance British Superbike champion will be crowned tomorrow at Brands Hatch this weekend (14 October). For more information click here
The second race starts at 13:00 tomorrow (Sunday).